Monday

My ferret and I.

This is not just a short story, this is a very short story. And it is based on a dream i had, a very strange dream that occasionally still makes me take a look under my bed.

It all started with a 'Ding!'

Like the sound coming from one of those fancy elevators you sometimes find in posh hotels. You know, the ones with a uniformed, bored looking lad whose only job is to press a button, inside.

It came from somewhere under my bed.

I've never been one to ponder, so it was all soon forgotten.

One..

Two..

Three days later i heard someone shuffling around.

Once again it came from somewhere under my bed.

Maybe i should have had a look then, just a tiny peek.

But i didn't.

Four..

Five..

Six days after the 'Ding!' I heard a voice.

'Oy mate, could'ye give us a hand down'ere?'

I stopped chewing on my apple and slowly bent over to see the source of the rude cockney accent.

It was a ferret.

He was wearing a beret and a striped scarf.

And he was carrying two heavy looking paper bags from Tesco.

'Think i might'ave dropped som o'those apples mate, could'ya be a doll an' pick'em up for me?'

I nodded slowly and picked up the four discarded apples.

He held out one of the paper bags for me to drop the apples in to.

And so i did.

Then he sat down the groceries and pushed the button so the doors to the elevator would open up and let him in.

I never noticed before, but there was an elevator under my bed. A very small one.

'Well, thanks mate, guess I'll see ya'round sometime, yeah?'

Again i nodded, dumbfounded.

I didn't know they had paper bags at Tesco.


R.

No comments:

Post a Comment